Welcome to Provent Sleep Apnoea Therapy. Treating your sleep apnoea can help you achieve a healthier and more productive day. And with Provent Therapy, you should experience less apnoea-related snoring. If this is your first time trying Provent, you may get used to the device immediately. Fantastic! If you don’t, stick with it. Wearing Provent Therapy may take some time to get used to.
What is Provent Therapy?
Provent Sleep Apnoea Therapy is a simple, non-invasive treatment for obstructive sleep apnoea (OSA). The Provent Nasal Device uses a valve design that attaches over the nostrils and is secured in place with hypoallergenic adhesive. The valve opens and closes, redirecting air through small holes to create resistance upon breathing out. Because it’s a small, single use, disposable device, it’s also discreet and very convenient.
How does Provent Therapy work?
The device attaches over the nostrils with a hypoallergenic adhesive. During inhalation, the valve opens, allowing the user to breathe in freely. When exhaling, the valve closes and air passing through the nose is directed through two small air channels. This increases the pressure in the airway (called EPAP or expiratory positive airway pressure). This maintains pressure in the airway until the start of the next inspiration and helps to keep it open.
Available Now through Sleep Services Australia
IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE STARTING
- The device works by making it harder to breathe out.
- This creates pressure, which keeps your airway open.
- Breathe out through your mouth (not through the device) when awake. You’ll naturally breathe through the device when you fall asleep.
- Take it off. If you wake up feeling uncomfortable, just take it off. Try it again tomorrow.
- It may take time to get used to the device. It may be uncomfortable at first, but give it a few days.
- It should get better. The first few nights may be uncomfortable, but stick with it. You should get used to it!
- Have a glass of water nearby – In case of a dry mouth.
How to apply Provent Therapy
We recommend using a mirror and following these simple steps when applying the device:
Peel off the adhesive from the paper backing.
Align the long axis of nasal insert with the long axis of one of the nostrils to ensure a good seal. Make sure the side tab points outward.
Once aligned, place the nasal insert into the nostril. Stretch the lower nostril area as if shaving the area above the upper lip. This will help ensure a good seal.
Gently press down around the adhesive to ensure a good seal. Make sure there are no folds or creases compromising the seal.
Once in place, the adhesive tab should be adhered as shown. Repeat steps 1-4 for the other nostril.
Use a mirror to check that both devices are properly fitted. Some overlap of the adhesive portions of the two devices is common, but try to avoid having the adhesive cover the plastic mesh of the other device.
Run your fingers around the edges of the devices to ensure a good seal. Check that there are no air leaks in the area between the upper lip and the lower, outer nostril.
Provent Therapy is a new treatment for obstructive sleep apnoea. Studies have shown that treating OSA can reduce health risks (like depression and heart disease) associated with the disease. Provent Therapy has been proven to:
- Decrease apnoeas (breathing pauses)
- Increase your energy
- Reduce daytime sleepiness
- Lead to a better quality of sleep
- Reduce OSA-related snoring
- Increase your enthusiasm to get things done
- Improve your sleep
Differences between CPAP and Provent
- CPAP uses continuous positive airway pressure to keep the airway from collapsing. Provent Therapy uses the power of your own breathing, expiratory positive airway pressure, to create this pressure, as opposed to forced air from an air blower.
- Some CPAP users give up treatment (or use it less than they should) because they find the equipment cumbersome and difficult to use.
In comparison with CPAP, the Provent Device offers multiple benefits that enhance ease of use and comfort. For many former CPAP users, Provent Therapy is an alternative to CPAP that fits their lifestyle while giving them the freedom that has been missing.
Tips for Success
Provent Therapy often requires a period of adjustment. Some people get used to it right away; others may take up to a week or more to get used to it.